Sunday, October 17, 2010

Finally

 16 October 2010


Well I got my act together and got myself to the gym, felt like I had the training wheels on.  I'll be running the Striders Internal Half Marathon tomorrow and although I will not be racing I decided it was best I avoided leg strength work today.  I pulled out this month's Oxygen magazine and headed to the gym with a plan; back, shoulders and abs followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill.

4 x 10 on arm dumbbell rows (15kg)
4 x 8 lower pulleys (32kg)
4 x 8 lat pull downs (40kg)
4 x 8 seated rows (25kg)
4 x 8 lateral raises (7.5kg)
4 x 8 dumbbell press (10kg)
4 x 8 upright rows (20kg standard bar)
4 x 50 oblique twists (3kg medicine ball)
 
30min on treadmill, 5.75km @ 5:12/km average pace. 
 
17 October 2010
 
This morning was the Striders' Internal Half Marathon, a handicapped race.  My handicap was 1:42 and I knew I had no chance of running that time and had given some thought to contacting Striders to for an adjustment.  In the end I thought who cares what time I run, just get out and do it.  The race is always held at Lane Cove our hilliest 10km course and we get the pleasure of running the 10km course twice with a little extra thrown in.
I lined up at my handicap time, all alone and made the decision to run the best I can and to use the event to gauge my current level of fitness and speed. I was happy to say I finished in 1:47:18, a lot quicker than I expected and feel so much better for getting out there.
Now I had better get stuck into my assignment (my last one.......)

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you padding out the posts with some details Bernie ;-p

    Looks like you had a good workout and an even better run - nice one! I hope you are starting to feel a bit more motivated now that you've seen you're not as unfit as you thought you were :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete