Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Decisions

2 January 2011

As planned I arrived at Drummoyne at the reasonable time of 5.30 am to complete four laps of The Bay Run http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bay_Run  I must have looked a sight kitted out with my Nathan Hydration pack considering the amount of taps/water along the pathway, however I had a plan.  I set my interval trainer on my garmin to run 3km and walk 300 metres in preparation for Saturday night.  I intended to use the walk breaks to drink and eat, taking full advantage of the walk to ensure I kept moving.  It was quite an interesting experiment, at no time did I think "not another lap of the Bay", and just focused on the discipline of walking and running.  The end result 30km @ 5.58/km average pace, yes including running and walking. To top it off I felt very fresh when I finished and felt I could have kept going.

I must admit I did enjoy the company of Wayne for the last 5km and a nice breakfast at The Cove when I was finished.

3 January 2010

You guessed it another lap of The Bay.  A good friend was visiting from interstate and invited Wayne and I for breakfast at The Cove (again), so we decided to squeeze in a lap of The Bay before breakfast.  7km @ 5:28/km average pace.

4 January 2010

This morning I settled for an easy 7km along shores of Botany Bay.  Not a comfortable run (more to details to follow) but finished with an average pace of 5:38/km.

Decision????

The past couple of weeks I have experienced some issues with my left foot.  Initially I experienced some pain in the ball of the foot and the big toe, however it has now extended along the tendon of my foot to the point I'm walking with a limp.  I'm sure it's the return of PF, hence the decision I need to make.  Should I do the Narrabeen All Night and risk further injury and other races or just grin and bear it for a race that I have no expectations and only entered to give me a boot up the backside to train more consistently?????????????

1 comment:

  1. My 2c worth - is it really worth aggravating an injury and ending up with an enforced break to your training while your motivation is high just to do a race that you entered purely to rev up your mojo? It seems to have already served it's purpose as you are well into the swing of training and I'd be worried that the risk of an enforced break may knock your motivation a bit.

    Only you know your body and how likely it is going to react to the all nighter. It's horrible to have committed to something and then have to pull out but it's a tough choice that needs to be made at times. If you think you'll be fine then go ahead with it, but if there is any doubt I'd say better safe than sorry...

    ReplyDelete