Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The eye is on the ball

The past week has really got away on me, I did manage to complete 10/14 days on my self-enforced "no running" rule but I have to say during this period I was so tired and slept 10-12 hrs a day most days and would fall asleep on the lounge most nights.  By the time last Saturday rolled around (15 Jan) I felt the need to test my body with a gentle 7.5km run.  I felt okay a little stiff all over but I could not believe the humidity and felt like I was running on the spot but managed an average pace of 5:36/km.

With the plan of not rushing back into things I had a rest day on Sunday, but partly due to having a little guest, my 2 year old niece who stayed with us on Saturday night so we could spoil her a little.

Yesterday back to it; up at 4.20am for an easy 10km run.  Everything felt okay and managed a nice comfortable pace of 5.30/km.  After work I completed a gym session of:

4 x 10 lunges (20km standard bar)
4 x 8 power squats (40kg olympic bar)
4 x 10 single leg roman dead lifts (10kg dumbbells)
4 x 20 calf raises
4 x 10 upright rows (20kg standard bar)
4 x 10 plate raises (10kg)
4 x 10 lateral raises (7.5kg)
4 x 50 oblique twists (3kg medicine ball)

20 minutes on treadmill walking on an incline.

This morning was struggling 12km.  I felt really flat, probably a little dehydrated and my legs felt a little heavy from the strength session.  I included 2 x 1km reps that were shamefully slow but the effort was felt.

Now the next few days will be interesting, Wayne and I get a special delivery this afternoon.  A 6mth old baby (Mckenzie)  and 2 year old (Ruby) - now it's only temporary.  We'll be babysitting/spoiling the girls until Sunday, so I'll have to do a little juggling with my exercise but I'm sure the running pram will get a work out this week at least with the 2yr old, which I'm sure I can also count as strength training, as she is almost 16kg herself.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see that the foot is on the mend and you are able to do some running again :)

    ReplyDelete